Monday, July 10, 2006

World of Warcraft: A Habit

I've been playing World of Warcraft quite a bit in the last few months. I've got several characters on the Shadow Council server: Hellstorm (60 orc warrior) and Rakshun (53 tauren druid). I'm currently with a oceanic guild on a US server. As such, we aren't overflowing with numbers but we're steadily growing.

It took a while to establish my role in the guild but I know feel I'm an integral part in helping the guild to progress. From barely able to scrape together 5 people for instance runs, we're now tackling Zul'Gurub entirely in-guild. I'm happy to say that I've been there before the guild's entry into end-game content and I'm even happier that I've made some friends in the game.

How do these friendships develop? It's interesting, actually. While we're typing away behind our keyboards, it is hard to get a feel about the other people you interact with. When we switched to Teamspeak and now Vent to coordinate our guild runs, things suddenly just rocketed into a new dimension. Hearing a person's voice on the other end and being able to more accurately gauge their emotions has been a huge part in helping the guild bond.

Almost all my closer friends in the guild were there when I first joined and it's been good to grow together with them. So thank you Wintahawk, Gruull, Cian, Lexeene, Emyrikol, Ravanas and Utengar. It's been fun and I hope we continue our progress.

Having forged these friendships, WoW has become even more of an addiction. Very often, I do not really care if I don't go on a guild raid or have been unable to get a spot in a 5-man. I look forward to talking to others and just enjoying the interaction more than phat lewt!

No comments: