Monday, July 10, 2006

World Cup Withdrawal

What can I say... two posts in a day after almost a year between when this blog was created and today.

As most sporting fans know, the World Cup is finally over and the Italians are once again champions of the world. This World Cup was memorable for me on many levels. It was the last time I got to see the great Zinedine Zidane work his midfield magic and the first chance to see Andriy Shevchenko on world football's greatest stage as befits his world class talent.

I started out supporting Argentina from the onset and it was a pleasure to see them play their fast and flowing football. Another team caught my eye, though, and slowly endeared itself to me. The Germans, who I initially derided for their lack of quality and historically negative playing style, broke tradition and embarked on a brave new venture. Under legendary German striker Jurgen Klinsmann, the Germans were remodelled to play football in his image; a fast, attractive style of football evolved under the Klinsi and it captured the hearts and imagination of more than just the German fans.

As I watched the Germans play, I marvelled at their pace, power and cutting edge. Moreover, I admired the way Klinsi shrugged off the negative comments directed towards him and his team and persisted with his style. Even Franz 'Der Kaiser' Beckenbauer was won over by Klinsi and that says a lot. To me, Klinsmann is a innovator with courage and determination. I commend him for his non-conformance and the size of his heart.

Now it's back to waiting for the EPL to start up again. Will Chelski once again dominate? It looks like it especially with the childish antics of Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney. I admire them for their talent but I sneer at their boorish behaviour. Take a page out of Pele's, Michel Platini's and Beckenbauer's book, boys. Learn to conduct yourselves with dignity and honour on and off the pitch.

No comments: